If you've landed on this blog by mistake, please follow this link:


www.Mississippi.PreppersNetwork.com

Please update your bookmarks and the links on your sites.



Join our forum at:


Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Garden is Growing!



This bed is holding my green beans, sweet peas and squash.




This is my front bed. All tomatoes. They are starting to come in. I love heirlooms but this is my first year planting early girls. I am just tired of fighting the stink bugs! I also have a new garden snake that has taken up residence so hopefully it's eating all the bugs!



This is one third of my back bed. It has jerusalem artichokes, which are new to us, so I will figure out what to do with them. There is a row of tomatoes behind them also which are starting to produce.



This is another third of the garden. It has my potatoes which should be ready to pull in a couple of weeks. We also have blue potatoes in there. Should be interesting. The middle third of the bed has carrots, which aren't doing too well, and some tomatoes but it's a boring picture lol. The back bed gives me the most trouble and I'm thinking that when this gets pulled I will plant fruit and bushes and dwarf fruit trees. My advocado pits I have been watering faithfully for a couple of months in pots in the green house (dh said they wouldn't grow) have now produced two nice little plants.

I love watching squash plants grow. They are so full and nice to look at. For dinner yesterday I made something simple that fed all six of us nicely. I used:

10 chicken breast tenders
2 potatoes sliced thin in rounds
1/4 large sweet onion sliced in rings
2 straight neck squash (from the garden!)
1 cup of cabbage sliced thin, like coleslaw
seasoning
butter

I took a pyrex casserole dish and sprayed with non cook spray. Potatoes went in a layer first, then onions, squash and cabbage. I put the chicken tenders on top then seasoned with garlic powder, onion powder, a pepper blend and a little bit of salt. You might want to season the veggies inbetween layering but I just made everone do their own. Put a couple of pats of butter on top. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 45min or an hour. Everone liked it surprisingly enough and I fed six.

4 comments:

Rhino said...

Looks great

Worn Out said...

Thanks Rhino, your garden is looking great! I think I might actually get some tomatoes this year before the stink bugs get them!

Marica said...

I am envious!

Worn Out said...

Thanks Marica! You shouldn't be though, I've seen the gardens you bring up lol.

Mississippi Preppers Network Est. Jan 17, 2009 All contributed articles owned and protected by their respective authors and protected by their copyright. Mississippi Preppers Network is a trademark protected by American Preppers Network Inc. All rights reserved. No content or articles may be reproduced without explicit written permission.