If you've landed on this blog by mistake, please follow this link:


www.Mississippi.PreppersNetwork.com

Please update your bookmarks and the links on your sites.



Join our forum at:


Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Be prepared


It's the Boy Scouts motto and as good as any. Be prepared means anything from natural disasters to unemployment. I remember during Y2K everyone rushing to get money out of the bank to trying to pay their mortgage off early. Fast forward nine years and some of these same people are having their homes foreclosed. Not learning their lessons from Katrina some people are still doing the paycheck to paycheck deal (thank you anonymous commenter), and now there is even more you have to prepare for. The event of government health care. It's not just money and food, it's your health. Start taking care of it now. Heaven help us if this passes---ever, if you have a terminal or debilitating condition the only way you will get adequate health care will be to pay for it yourself.
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." Hippocrates
The food you eat can be one way to help yourself. Now, you can get as angry with me as you want to, but it is not your God given right to go to an all you can eat buffet and try to eat 5 times as much food as you think you paid for it. There I said it. And fried is not a food group. (I am as guilty as the rest of you) and yes, too much sweet tea can help diabetes and kidney failure right along. Think about the state of your health and how long you would survive on The Anointed One's health care plan if it should ever pass. I'm not just lecturing to you but myself also (I smoke). I am also not telling you to join a diet plan. Be sensible about what you eat. I personally have been cutting out as much processed food as I can and I have noticed that we have been getting sick a lot less than usual.
So get your preps in order, hopefully in more traditional, less boxed process stuff. Get your bills paid, by all means! But when the shtf don't be just lingering along, take care of yourself, people in the position of taking care of others don't give themselves permission...if you need it, I give you permission.

1 comment:

Marica said...

Hope it's not too late to comment on this. Great post, with one small problem. Fried food IS a food group! :-)

Seriously... IF-- and that's a big "if"-- you eat a relatively balanced and healthy diet, and if you are relatively active, and you get a craving for fried food... go with it! This happens to me about twice per year, and often at the end of the summer. I know this b/c I know what we do about my hankering for fried food. We crank up the turkey fryer & do fried okra, eggplant, corn fritters, etc. Since everything comes form my garden, I reason that my "body is telling me" I need some fat. And I don't feel the least bit guilty.

Same goes for my occasional craving for popcorn. Need some sodium. I probably wouldn't have this craving if we ate processed food, but we don't, so I do. (Real old-school popcorn kernels, though.)

Love that Hippocrates quote. Awesome!

Mississippi Preppers Network Est. Jan 17, 2009 All contributed articles owned and protected by their respective authors and protected by their copyright. Mississippi Preppers Network is a trademark protected by American Preppers Network Inc. All rights reserved. No content or articles may be reproduced without explicit written permission.