If you've landed on this blog by mistake, please follow this link:


www.Mississippi.PreppersNetwork.com

Please update your bookmarks and the links on your sites.



Join our forum at:


Monday, March 8, 2010

Don't knock old fashioned

From our buddy Tim, who's had some computer issues of late but is back.

I try to make all my posts here to the preppers network be as related as possible. I also try to write posts that are things that have happened in my life that I think someone else might read and walk away from with a new skill or another outlook that helps them be a little more prepared than they were before they read it. This leads me to something that happened to me around the first. Any of you that live down by the MS coast might remember the weather. It was raining hard with a cold stiff wind. On my way to work someone had ran off the road and taken out a neighbors cattle fence. We suspect it was teenagers, because they had been pulled out and were gone before any one was there.

Any one that knows cattle knows that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, so when this car from heaven showed up and left this gaping hole it meant that they all had to go out and explore. I wish that you could see the site as I came around the corner. The first person that had arrived on the mass exodus was a businessman dressed for work. He was standing in front of the cows and calves jumping up and down trying to get them to go back. I brought the truck to a stop and jumped out. This person was afraid that one of the cows might get hurt. For me it was just second nature to reach in the back seat of my truck and grab my full length duster, the green wool hat, that used to be brown, and a pair of gloves.

As I started to get around the cattle the gentleman that had stopped first thanked me for the help and said he needed to get his coat out of the car. What I saw next kind of surprised me. He walked over to his care and pulled out what looked like a B.O.B. He reach in and pulled out one of the newest fanciest rain suits you can buy from the best backing store you can think of. He slipped it on and got right back into the round up.

Just about when we would have them headed in the right direction a calf would shoot past him and knock him down. I was impressed, it was apparent that this gentleman had never been around cattle before, but he wasn’t backing down. After about forty minutes we had all the cattle back in the pasture securely. I asked him to stand in the gap while I went to my truck to get some wire to patch up the fence. This gentleman helped me straighten up two T posts and get four strand of wire back up.

After we were all done he asked me where I had purchased my duster. It was at this time that I took a good look at him. I felt terrible. He was a mess, here he was just being a Good Samaritan, and his rain-suit was torn, his clothes, and shoes were ruined. I know that just the rain coat probably cost over three hundred dollars. He was soaked from head two toe.

It was about this time that the owner of the cattle came around the corner and in an upset voice asked what we were doing messing with his fence. After a few minutes of explaining he settled down and thanked us. We all shook hands and were headed in our separate ways, myself of to work, the business man headed home and change before heading into work. I actually spent most of the rest of that day in the rain at work and never gave much thought to the morning events until later that evening when I was looking at a sportsmen’s catalog and saw one of the rain-suits like the gentleman, and all that it advertised to be. In less than an hour of actual work his had been torn to shreds. It was at this time that I truly started to think of what I had on that morning and how it had protected me from the elements and where my clothes backgrounds were.

All the clothes that I had on that day had been designed over a hundred years ago, and for the most part had been unchanged in the last hundred years. Let’s look at it from top to bottom. My hat is a crushable wool brimmed hat, not a cowboy hat but more along the shape of Indiana Jones. It has just enough brim to keep the sun and rain out of your eyes. And it keeps your head worm in the coldest rain. My coat was a full length oil skin duster. I was wearing a long sleeved wool flannel shirt over a long sleeve t-shirt. I had on a good old pair of wrangler jeans, and some leather boots. This is about as old fashion as it gets, but here I was dry, warm, and unscathed by the events of the morning.

I know all the arguments against these old fashioned materials and people talk about buying high end mill speck clothing for there prepps, I have been in the military and have torn through many a pair to BDU’s doing things that would have glanced off a pair of old canvas pants. There is a reason that some designs don’t change. They stay the way they are because they work. For the clothes that I am going to take into a survival situation in the elements, I would take something that holds heat better, but for most of the things that we are getting prepared for we hopefully aren’t going to be living out of a backpack hiding from zombies in the woods. If this is the situation I land in, than I have done something wrong in my preparing. I agree that there is a place for these new materials in our lives but as you are purchasing things for the future don’t get caught up in there hype. Most of what we will be doing after the ball drops is old fashioned hard work, everything that is so easily available today will take hours of work to either make, grow, or repair. It is important to have the clothing that will last through the longest hours of hard work. In these times it is good to have the clothing that has proven itself over the last couple centuries.

P.S. I feel really bad, I didn’t fully catch the gentleman’s name, I think it was Dave, I have past him on the road a couple of times and we both wave. If that was a B.O.B in his car, than maybe he is reading this and we can get together for a cup of coffee at the donut hole.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tim
I have had this same conversation many times about all areas of prepping. So many people want the newesthigh tec. everything. I prefer to use what has been proven to work in the past. My house, on the Ms gulf coast was built in the 60's but has survived Camile, Katrina and everything between,and never flooded. My truck is a 77, with a straight six, manual 4-speed and manual lock out 4-wheel drive. My security system is a wood privacy fence and a big black shelter dog. As a Katrina survivor I prep for "when not if" the next storm hits. I hope to meet up with You sometime. I know the donut shop You mentioned. papa bear

Mississippi Preppers Network Est. Jan 17, 2009 All contributed articles owned and protected by their respective authors and protected by their copyright. Mississippi Preppers Network is a trademark protected by American Preppers Network Inc. All rights reserved. No content or articles may be reproduced without explicit written permission.